Job DescriptionThe University of California, San Diego is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to investigate the role of bacteriophages as members of the human microbiome and to assist in the efforts to identify and characterize bacteriophages. The work will be performed under the mentorship of Dr. David Pride, MD PhD, Associate Professor of Pathology and Medicine. It will be carried out in conjunction with the Center for Innovative Phage Applications and Therapeutics (IPATH), where the focus is on developing technologies to assist with bacteriophage therapy. The laboratory is heavily involved in recruitment of human subjects to microbiome studies, processing and sequencing of bacterial and viral communities from oral and gut specimens, bioinformatics techniques to characterize responses of communities to perturbations, phage hunting, and in characterizing phage-host dynamics. Salary is commensurate with the NIH salary payscale.
• Processing of specimens for sequencing
• Use of bioinformatics techniques to characterize bacteria and viruses from microbiomes
• Characterizing new bacteriophages and curating the lab collection
• Interpretation of results and writing of manuscripts
• Presentation at lab meetings
• Participation in other laboratory activities
• EDUCATION: Ph.D. or M.D. in Microbiology or in a related field or expected to receive PhD by 12/1/20
• EXPERIENCE: No postgraduate work required; Experience with sterile technique and in interpretation of next-generation sequencing techniques desired; Experience working with bacteriophages is desired
• Strong knowledge of microbiology and molecular biology techniques;
• Understanding and working knowledge of research lab requirements/procedures and scientific research methodology;
• Strong scientific writing skills and demonstrated capacity to drive first author publications;
• Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
• Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
• Ability to work independently and within a team context;
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
• Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
• Proven technical and analytical skills;
• Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Endnote and Corel Draw;
• Intermediate knowledge of math and statistics.
Environmental Conditions :
• Exposure to wet lab environment, blood borne pathogens, toxic / caustic chemicals or reagents.