Job DescriptionJob Summary
Performs a variety of accounting duties that range in level of complexity from clerical accounting duties such reconciling accounts, distributing payroll effort, and reviewing encumbrances to more complex duties such as creating faculty budgets, preparing cost transfer paperwork, and submitting requisitions for capital assets. And other duties as assigned within the scope of this job title.
Essential duties in Physics and Astronomy (P&A) will be to work closely with the department’s Accounting Manager and Grants and Contracts Officer as listed in the job summary.
Our staff work collaboratively and creatively to support one another with an emphasis on professional development, cross-training, and job satisfaction. This is a great opportunity for the right person. We provide a supportive and inclusive work environment – holding a high bar for performance – valuing the individual and their contributions to our work together as a team.
Generic Job Title Duties as outlined by Human Resources
1. Maintains and reconciles accounts and makes correction to journal entries as necessary. Tracks and reports revenue and expenditures.
2. Prepares departmental or grant budgets and cost reports, and does variance analysis.
3. Reviews expense and accounting documents for accuracy and appropriate approvals and ensures transactions are charged to the correct account.
4. Handles accounts receivable for department including invoice preparation, bank deposits, aging reports, follow up on past due accounts.
5. Prepares and processes purchasing and travel documents. Solves problem with invoices and processes for payment.
6. Serves and department payroll reporter. May track department payroll expenses and ensure labor costs are charged to correct accounts.
7. Reviews and reconciles University procurement and purchases.
8. Reconciles monthly management statements and maintains back-up documentation.
9. Creates special checks or check requests.
10. Tracks and controls department inventory.
11. Supervises and trains accounting clerks and other clerical staff.
12. May serve as petty cash custodian for the department.
13. May purchase and maintain office supplies for department.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field, plus two years full-time clerical accounting experience or equivalency required. The ability to understand, interpret, and apply University and departmental regulations; demonstrated spreadsheet skills; and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Experience using software programs such as PeopleSoft or Kronos may be required for certain positions.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This position is open to University employees only. Competitive applicants will have experience in at least one university systems such as: ePRs, PCards, FIL reports, payroll distribution and/or DJobs, EJs, cost transfers, UShop, eProposal, eAward.
Training will be provided as needed.