Are you passionate about community engagement and skilled in communications? Would you love to be a bridge between the world-changing research going on at Chicago’s largest science laboratory and local and regional communities? Do you like getting in on the ground floor of new organizations? We’d love to hear from you!
Argonne is seeking a talented communications manager for its brand new Office of Community Engagement (OCE). The OCE spearheads the laboratory’s local, state and regional community outreach and engagement strategy and activities.
The communications manager is tasked with developing and executing a communications strategy for the new office, covering both communications to external audiences and internal communication within Argonne. The communications manager will have the opportunity to create and reshape communications channels and outreach programs to reach community stakeholders, including events at Argonne’s Lemont and Hyde Park locations, public relations, content across digital and traditional channels, and more.
The successful candidate will work with communications professionals from partner organizations such as STEM-focused nonprofits, local public libraries, academic institutions including the University of Chicago, and other national laboratories to maximize Argonne’s impact and reach. The communications manager will also coordinate within the laboratory to ensure that messaging and activities are aligned with those of the laboratory, and have the support of laboratory leaders, scientists and staff.
As a member of Argonne’s Communications and Public Affairs division, the communications manager will be able to leverage the expertise and support of teams of writers, designers, video producers, photographers, media relations professionals, web and social media experts, and event coordinators. As a member of the communications team for the Science & Technology Partnerships and Outreach organization, the individual may also occasionally support activities for other departments within the organization.
- Reports to the Head of Communications for Science & Technology Partnerships and Outreach, and is embedded in the OCE.
- Develop and execute an annual strategic communications plan for the OCE.
- Plan, coordinate and execute original communications activities, products, publications and events.
- Understand the work of the Laboratory and the OCE including key priorities, objectives, sponsors and partners.
- Build relationships with Laboratory leaders and staff, and with external communication partners, to expand the impact and reach of the OCE.
- Write a variety of communications including articles, reports, internal memos and web copy.
- Serve as a representative of the OCE on communications initiatives that cross other Laboratory areas.
- Feed content into Lab-wide channels and tracking systems.
- Coordinate, facilitate and get approval for visitor access to Laboratory areas required for community engagement activities.
- Ensure that communications products align with overall Laboratory messaging and branding.
- Support other communications activities for the Science & Technology Partnerships and Outreach organization as assigned.
- Seek opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Argonne communications.
- Marketing and communications generalist experience with a range of skills including writing, media relations, public relations, events, digital and social media.
- Expertise in working with internal and external clients at the highest professional levels.
- Experience in working under pressure, maintaining integrity and confidentiality of information.
- Skill in verbal and written communication and interpersonal relationship-building skills.
- Collaborative team member able to work through influence at varying levels within an organization to achieve a common communications goal.
- Ability to develop and execute comprehensive, tailored communication plans for a variety of audiences and outreach activities.
- Ability to meet demanding deadlines, prioritize, and handle a large number of diverse projects and issues within budget.
- Position allows for a great degree of creativity and initiative to be expansive in developing new ways for Argonne to reach out and interact with the community.
- Strong expertise in Microsoft suite; including Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Strong influencing skills and ability to navigate across the organization.
- Steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the outreach role as well as the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 6+ years’ experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Administrative (PA)
Job ProfileCommunications/Marketing 4
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.