Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform food preparation, service, and cashiering duties when assigned.
- Lead, direct, and assist employees in the correct and timely procedures in meeting license/franchise and department standards in relation to the preparation and service of all menu items including but not limited to recipe preparation, food presentation, quality control, customer service and sanitation and safety as defined by BSU manuals, handbooks, HACCP standards, Indiana Food Code, NRA ServSafe, and other industry standards.
- Orient, coach, and train employees resulting in well-trained staff that will consistently exhibit excellence in job knowledge and performance; ensure employees are well-trained before working in any job assignment; and provide accurate, balanced feedback to employees regarding job performance.
- Count the safe and audit safe records; audit cashier reports and submit thorough, accurate, cashier check-out reports to bookkeeper; properly report and account for shortages in safe or deposits of sales; complete documentation, report all unaccounted monies (over $20.00) immediately to the Unit manager; check and approve all cashier refunds to customers and audit the No Sale transactions of each cashier in order to prevent cashier theft; maintain accurate and up-to-date meal card system, including but not limited to reporting lost cards, verifying account status, and overseeing the recording of offline transactions; administer university and departmental policies as related to money handling and reporting; ensure cashiers properly ring sales to record product movement and product value related to each brand upon which royalty payments to brand licensors or franchisers are based.
- Scrutinize inventory levels, and other indicators; manage purchasing assignment and following policies and procedures of Ball State University; maintain appropriate inventory levels of foods and supplies as assigned, with neither being over or under-stocked; complete weekly inventory of foods and supplies with a high degree of accuracy.
- Oversee and maintain adequate staffing following University procedures to schedule replacement employees; complete documentation related to scheduling regular and overtime staff; maintain confidentiality and ethical practices relating to communications.
- Unlock facility for the day’s operations and secure the facility for the periods of closure;
observe safety and security precautions to prevent personal or employee injury, and theft of university or employee property; maintain personal and unit keys in a safe manner to prevent unauthorized use.
- Assist in optimizing profitability through effective monitoring and supervision of food waste, portion control, inventory management, key control, theft and security controls, correct and accurate use of the POS register, carful care for the facility, equipment and furnishing; assist in evaluating food, labor and other controllable costs; implement corrective measures as needed.
- Assist in executing an effective marketing and promotion program for the unit in
conjunction with the Unit Manager.
- Assist in planning of standard and custom menus, submit recipes for new menu items, and assist with development of sales mix for the unit; assist in planning and executing special events, catered events, and other non-routine food services.
- Attend and complete the Advance Store Training program to become a certified AST Leader and attend and complete the Barista program to become a Certified Barista.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.