Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign and review work, orient and train staff, and make recommendations as to interviewing and selection, performance appraisal, and discipline.
- Lead, direct, and supervise service personnel and students in all aspects of food production including baking resulting in timely production of high quality food and excellence in food presentation; assist with display cooking as scheduled; method of delivery must be accurate and must convey a genuine interest in and love of food and food preparation. Oversee compliance with HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) standards, OSHA regulations, Universal precautions, Indiana Dept. of Health codes, NACUFS Professional Standards, Ball State University policies, and other regulatory bodies that govern health and safety of employees and customers. ration and a sense of excitement and enthusiasm for the cuisine; may execute chef skills outside of the regularly assigned unit for special events, summer scheduling (if available), and other unique situations.
- Orient, coach, and train employees resulting in well-trained employees who consistently exhibit excellence in job knowledge and performance; ensure employees are well trained before working in any job assignment; provide accurate, balanced (positive and negative) feedback to employees regarding job performance and follow up on corrective measures; complete and maintain file documentation for all orientation, coaching, and training of each employee according to departmental procedures.
- Under firm deadlines, utilize the Cbord Menu Management computer system to prepare menu item forecasts to (a) determine production of foods for service, and (b) correctly enter service statistics for historical record.
- Communicate with peers and subordinates in a thorough, detailed, timely, even-handed manner resulting in effective personal contact and/or the completion of "management log" entries that communicate necessary information to peers; attend shift meetings, unit and departmental management staff meetings, and relate telephone messages and/or other information accurately and in a timely manner; maintain confidentiality and ethical practices as relates to communications; in stressful situations, remain calm, in control, and have a positive impact on others; manage disagreements effectively and create an environment where peers, employees, and customers are treated with dignity and respect and where rules, policies, and procedures are consistently administered.
- Under firm deadlines, scrutinize purchase requisitions and approve amounts of food and supplies to be ordered, based upon forecasted projections of sales of menu items, inventory levels, and other indicators; manage purchasing agreement with the utmost business ethics and follow policies and procedures of Ball State University; complete an assigned weekly inventory of foods and/or supplies with a high degree of accuracy; submit completed inventory records in a timely manner; maintain appropriate inventory levels of foods and supplies with neither being over- or under-stocked.
- Assist in optimizing profitability through effective monitoring and supervision of food waste, portion control, inventory management, key control, theft and security controls, and proper charging of sales to customers and employees; require employees to use and care for the facility, equipment, and furnishings in a responsible manner; assist in evaluation of food, labor, and other controllable food costs; implement corrective measures as needed.
- Execute menu development and food preparation for special catered events including, but not limited to: ice sculpture, pastry, fancy food and gourmet garniture, theme planning, and banquet service; assist in planning of standard and custom menus as well as developing an optimum "sales mix" for the unit; cooperate with University Banquet and Catering, other dining units, and the BSU Food Management department; demonstrate or give presentations at public/community events.
- Evaluate, investigate, and secure approval of the Unit Manager and the Assistant Director of Personnel or the Director, then issue warranted counseling or discipline to employees in a timely manner and according to university policies and procedures; submit written documentation of all investigations, interviews, meetings, or conversations related to the situation in addition to copies of the properly issued disciplinary forms; accurately administer the union agreement and addenda thereto (including absence and tardiness policies and required record keeping).
- Assist in executing an effective marketing and promotion program for the unit in conjunction with the Unit Manager, approval from the Assistant Director of Personnel and Administration, Housing and Dining Marketing Coordinator, and Assistant Director of Operations.
- Establish, evaluate, and execute personal and unit goals, contribute to departmental goal setting and achievement; serve in a contributory and effective manner on teams, committees, and task forces.
- Evaluate employee performance and complete timely formal appraisal forms impartially and in an unbiased manner; submit draft appraisals for the approval of the Unit Manager; properly conduct the performance review meetings with employees; route completed forms in a timely manner.
- Assist in maintaining adequate staffing following university procedures to schedule replacement employees; complete documentation related to scheduling regular and overtime staff; demonstrate a commitment to affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
- Demonstrate a professional appearance; wear clean, well-pressed chef attire and follow dictates of the established dress code.
- Administer university and department policies as relates to money handling and reporting; report all unaccounted monies (over $20.00) immediately to the Unit Manager and/or University Police; may unlock facility for the day's operations and/or secure the facility for the periods of closure; observe safety and security precautions to prevent personal or employee injury, and theft of university or employee property; maintain personal and unit keys in a safe manner to prevent unauthorized use; report maintenance and repair needs of building and equipment in a timely manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance as required by this position.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.